Saturday, September 27, 2014

So many ups and downs

School has begun and the kids are all doing pretty good with keeping up with homework and good grades so far.  They all really like their teachers and RaKelle is loving the high school social stuff and football games.

I wasn't sure how to write some of the things that I have been feeling lately.  I was still concerned with Jaren not eating and not swallowing his pills so we went to our appointment with the GI Doctor and I knew he was going to tell me that we should consider a feeding tube for his nutrients and his medications, even though I knew it was coming it didn't lessen the blow any, it is still a slap in the face that things are going downhill at a fast rate.  The Dr's have all been really good about answering all of my questions and about giving me the information I have needed to make my decisions.  I think by far that this decision has been the hardest one yet.  I told the Dr I would not make a decision on my own that I had to go home and talk it over with my kids before I would make the final decision.  We had a family meeting that night and talked it over and they all asked if they could have some time to think about it and have another meeting later in the week to discuss the options and what their feelings were, so that is what we did, needless to say it was a very emotional week for all of us.  RaKelle had a meltdown, Ashlyn got really mean and Braxton got really, really sick with fever and just wanting to lay on the couch he was sick for 5 days.  RaKelle came and talked to me and we had a really good talk she expressed how hard it was at school to listen to people in the hall complain about how their dad's are so over protective and she just wished that her dad knew how to be over protective. Ashlyn finally calmed down and she is doing much better.  Braxton finally got better.  The Friday after we found out about the tube we celebrated Jaren's 40th birthday, he swears up and down he is 31 so we just go with it, instead of having a party with friends and family we were discussing the feeding tube.

We finally came to the decision to have the tube placed.  I know some people wonder why we chose to have a feeding tube, they wonder why we want to prolong his life.  I thought about that as well and talked with more than one of his Dr's and they were very supportive with whatever decision that we made.  They all said that he is still functioning to a point where his nutrition is very important and if he wasn't getting the nutrition that he needs it would start eating his muscles and it would be more painful.  Our family Dr made a very good point as well, he said you aren't prolonging his life we are treating the symptoms and helping him have a good quality for the end of life not the quantity.  I didn't look at it that way until he said something.  I am so thankful for the Dr's that we have working with him and the way they treat him, and the support that they give to me.

The G tube (Gastric feeding tube) was placed on Thursday September 25, 2014 it was a looooong day we had to be at the hospital at 5am.  The surgery went very smooth and it didn't even take them as long as they anticipated and they were very pleased with how it went.  The surgeon was very good and he said that the surgery was better than they expected it to be.  He came home the same day and did really well.  We now have to get used to a new "normal" for feeds and meds and dealing with everything.  When he was in post op he kept saying "ow, my belly hurts" I would then say, 'yes, you had surgery your belly will hurt for a few days, they had to cut you a little bit" he would look at me and growl and say "why, did they do that?" I had to explain it over and over again that it will help him eat and get the medicine he needs.  When we got home the kids asked him why his belly hurt and he would say "because they thought I was a toy or a doll so they cut me all up" at least it didn't take his sense of humor yet!!  he is finally understanding a little bit but is very vocal about the pain and very ornery sometimes.

We are holding a Bake Sale this coming Friday October 3, 2014 for the AFTD like the one that we had last year.  The kids have done a lot to get ready for this and hopefully it will pay off.

1 comment:

  1. ello Jamie,
    You do not know me and I just sent you a friends request on facebook but I am writing you because your husband was one of the missionaries that taught my family the gospel in 1995 in Rosepine, Louisiana. Tonight I was thinking about the time in my life when I was baptized at the age of 13 as well as the rest of my family and I decided to look up the elders that taught my family the discussions. I came across your and yours husband story and that is how I found you. I still have the book of mormon that Elder Gordon and his companion gave to me. As with any convert the missionaries that taught the gospel to our family hold a special place. Through his service generations have been affected. I joined the church at age 13, married in the temple in 2003, and now have children of my own. As I sit here and type this my mom is working on her primary sharing time, I am seminary teacher for my ward, as well as my ancestors genealogy that has been done. You see generations have been affected. I am so grateful for Elder Gordon's service in the church and how it helped me find the plan of happiness. I always tell young men and young women that are about to serve missions to remember on their hard days that my family slammed the door to tons of missionaries and that it took those special two to bring us the gospel and that they will be that special missionary for someone else. I read your story and I want you to know that I am sending prayer and good thoughts your families way and wishing for many blessings. Although he probably does not remember me please send my gratitude and good thoughts to Elder Gordon.

    Sincerely,
    Amanda Matthews Timoteo

    my email is amandatimoteo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete