Thursday, April 21, 2011

Decisions, decisions

Why are there so many decisions to make in life? I had to make a really tough one this last week, after Jaren spent that evening in the hospital I knew I had to take action and find something that would help me out.  I knew that the Beehive house took people for the day so I finally made the decision to take him up there during the day while I was at work.  I know that if I had someone checking on him during the day then we could have avoided going to the ER.  I took him on Tuesday for the first time it was very, very difficult and wierd to drop your adult spouse off at a daycare, I wanted to cry all the way to work but couldn't because I didn't want to teach 4th graders with swollen red eyes.  He was really excited to go there he got up and got ready on time and we took the kids to school and then I dropped him off.  He was ready when I came back to pick him up but said he enjoyed it.  Everyone there really liked him and they said on our way out the door "Don't forget about us, we are always here" They can't wait for him to come back.  He asked our 11 year old if she would go in one evening and play the piano for all of the residents there, of course she said yes.  I feel like my kids are learning so many different things and learning about so many different ways to be compassionate to others with disabilities from going through all of this stuff with their dad.  They are more aware of how people with disabilities get treated and they are so much more caring about disabled people.  RaKelle keeps asking if I have called to ask when she can go to play the piano. 

I have been trying to avoid taking this step because I knew it would be hard, but after spending 9 hours in the ER I knew something had to happen.  I am trying to stay as positive as I can about it all but it is going to be difficult when he can't remember us and I have to make the hardest decision ever to put him in a home.  I hope I don't ever have to do that.  It was extremely nice to be at work and not have to worry AT ALL about him I knew he was being taken care of and I didn't have to call and check up on him and remind him to take his sugars and then get home and find out he didn't because he forgot after hanging up the phone.  I am sure a decision like this seems so easy for most people but to me it was very hard.  I don't know how he will react to things like this and I am not sure what will happen if he comes to a point where he is calling the other women at the nursing home his girlfriend because he has no idea what is going on and why he has to be there.

1 comment:

  1. What a difficult decision. And it won't be the last tough choice you have to make. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Perhaps Jaren will be like my father--he doesn't recognize my mom now, but her remembers her as she was when they first met, and still has a huge crush on her. "Lorna is so cute!" when he talks about her. Jaren may tell nurses how cute Jamie is.

    ReplyDelete