Sunday, June 30, 2013

swallowing

Last weekend Jaren couldn't swallow any of his pills so he didn't have any pills for a couple of days, I tried opening the capsule and putting it in applesauce without him knowing, I tried putting them in milk, chocolate milk, pudding, nothing was working so I finally went to Walgreens and got some spray stuff called pill glide and sprayed it and he got most of them down.  With it being on a weekend I couldn't call a gastroenterologist  because he is not an established patient, I did call the family doctor and they told me to take him to the ER but I really didn't want to sit there forever, I decided since he was able to swallow most of them with that spray that we could wait until Monday.  I called first thing Monday morning to a GI doctor and they didn't have any openings until July 29th, yes that says July.  I took the appointment and asked them to put him on a cancellation list and they called on Wednesday and they had an opening on Thursday so I took the appointment and I am so glad we chose the one that we chose, he was so kind and so honest and he told us right from the beginning that he had never heard of MLD and he will have to research it to know what to do.  He did order an endoscopy and they have to put him under anesthesia for the procedure so I hope he does well.  He said if that all comes back normal they will then do another swallow study and then go from there.  I asked him about a G tube just for meds and he said they want that to be the last resort but that if he is aspirating with food and things that we will keep that in mind.  I told him that I know eventually he will probably have to have one and I don't want to be stuck not able to get into a doctor for a month and a half he told me that now that he is a patient it should be easy to get into them.  

Braxton had Cub Country this past weekend and Friday he came home with a sore throat and as the night went on he started getting a fever, I took him in just in case it was strep and he had to have 2 strep cultures and they both came back negative I still haven't heard if they have come back from the lab yet for the longer culture. He was very upset that he didn't get to go to Cub Country on Saturday but he laid in bed all day Saturday and half the day Sunday he is finally feeling normal.   I was up all night with him Friday night and then Saturday night Jaren was up all night because he couldn't feel his feet at all and then he started crying because they hurt so bad. I don't know what to do for the pain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment