Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why do kids have to be so mean?

Somedays I wonder why I send my kids to school, some kids are SO mean.  I took Braxton into the counselor today and while we were driving up there he made a comment to me so I asked him to go into further detail, he told me that some people at school are teasing him about his dad being sick and telling him that he will never get better and their dad is better because they aren't sick.  I have never wanted to hit a kid so hard in my life.  He mentioned it to his counselor as well with huge tears welling up in his eyes.  I have never cried at one of their appointments until today.  Ashlyn has told me before that she is having the same problem but she lies a lot so I never know when to believe her but now I know she is telling the truth and I am not going to put up with it. 

I couldn't believe how grown up Braxton sounded as he was talking to the counselor about it, he asked Braxton what he did when he was upset about that and Braxton said I walked away to be alone for a minute and took deep breaths and waited to go back to play with friends until I didn't want to punch them anymore.  I couldn't believe it what a great boy he is turning out to be.  I just feel so helpless and sad that the kids have to put up with stuff like this, it's not like we asked for this crap to deal with.  I am sure one day we will look back and know that we have learned something from this but right now I just want to keep the kids home and never send them to school again and just stay locked up in my house and never leave so they don't ever have to hear anyone making fun of them or their dad. 

RaKelle is also struggling a lot she is fighting me on taking seminary, she is very adamant about NOT taking it.  I know she is having a hard time with the church and with Young Womens right now but I don't know how to help her.  I told her she had to at least take it the first semester and then if she still felt that way she could stop and then then take it again in High School.  I guess she is having problems with the fact that it isn't fair that her dad is struggling so bad and why she can't do anything about it and that she is going to lose her dad and she is frustrated and upset with God for taking her dad away from her.  I need to do a better job at scripture study and family home evening to help point out that it isn't anyones fault and that we can not make it through this trial without faith and support from the church and prayer to help us through day to day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Kids are jerks. I was teased a lot about my father (wheelchair bound) when I was in school. You never get over wanting to punch them. I wish I had sage advice to make it better. All I have is empathy for your kids. You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN to Les's comment...the woman of the shoes :).

      Kids are mean inside school and outside of school. I hope there are enough people around to give you the hugs I wish I could be there to give you!!

      Delete