Wednesday, July 17, 2013

doctors, tests, and more

We finally had the Endoscopy test today with the GI doctor, it was so fast I thought we would be there forever but we weren't.  The Dr said that Jaren has a hiatal hernia but no ulcers so that is good.  He said the hernia is not something to worry about as of yet.  He said that they did put something in the esophagus to stretch it out a little bit and they did take some biopsy's so they don't have to put him through this again.  The Dr seems very knowledgeable and so I trust what he is doing, I know he has to rule out everything before we make a decision about a feeding tube to make sure that the tube will be our best option.  He said if the stretching does not work and we should know if it is going to work or not, right away if it works great, if not we have to go back in for a swallow study with a speech pathologist.  This roller coaster ride of emotions is not fun.

Saturday night he choked really bad and couldn't even eat dinner.  He has lost some weight in the last week so it is a little concerning.  He woke up on Monday throwing up so the first thing I did was check his sugars and they were not to high, so I knew it wasn't DKA again.  I called the family Dr and he was out sick so I talked to the nurse and told him what was going on with him and he asked me what my thoughts were because I am the caregiver and I know him the best! It made me feel like they cared what I thought.  I told him that I was worried because of the choking the other night and the last time he was hospitalized for pneumonia he was throwing up.  He told me to bring him in on Tuesday when the Dr was back in.  I took him in yesterday and he looked much better but I wanted to make sure.  His lungs were clear, and he gave us a prescription for phenergan suppositories to stop the vomiting when it occurs.  I was talking with the nurse and was telling him that I had high blood pressure last time I went in and he wouldn't let me leave until I had it checked again, and it was really high so he walked me right down to the receptionist and made an appointment for me for Wednesday, I really am thankful for the people that care about me and take care of me.  I am so busy taking care of Jaren that I don't always catch symptoms for my health.  I can see why caregivers are often very ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment